As I bumbled along through my summer, I didn't realize how close it was to ending! Yet, I go back to meetings starting this Thursday. I feel as if I didn't have much down time. I guess, in reality I didn't. I participated in the National Writing Project this year: five weeks, thirty teachers, so much paper (I tried to stick with recycled paper as I felt all the trees around me cringe when we entered a room). It was fantastic. I've never written so much in a concentrated time. Sadly, I haven't written much since I left. I have a million excuses, but it comes down to laziness. We heard many authors speak, my personal favorite said, "Find fifteen minutes a day to write, if you don't have fifteen minutes to do it--change your life." No kidding. I loved that. Except, now I have to change my life. I need fifteen minutes to write and thirty minutes to exercise. Anybody out there have those two things they could spare?
I'm ready for my eighth graders this year. Last year I was sick, literally, and it made the year begin on a sour note. After surgery and patience, I was well...but the year never took off as the one before had. This year, I am excited to see their smirking faces (c'mon, if I'd said smiling and given into the cliche, you'd have thought I was being sarcastic...they're eighth graders after all...) and delighted to get them writing. You'd be amazed what eighth grade kids can come up with if you push them. And I do.
So with just a few days left, I commit myself to posting here once in a while (weekly?) and writing on my own. I am meeting with a writing group that is remnants of the one I connected with at the NWP...I wish all the participants would be there, but life intervenes. I am going to write a story for the meeting. Perhaps I'll post that here just for the heck of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment